Please congratulate your child(ren) for making it through a challenging one-time only all-cast introduction to the script and play! We wanted to bring the cast together JUST ONCE, so that they can see themselves as a group, receive scripts out and roles, and get familiar with the story and music. It was not easy for the kids to maintain their focus, but we all got through it! As planned, we will now move into small-group rehearsals.
There will be a lot of important details, so please take a moment to read each email. We will also post emails on the blog website (cornishdramaclub.blogspot.com
* We are offering a Make-Up Rehearsal for any cast who missed today: Friday, Oct. 24 2:45-4:00pm. (Cast who attended today need not come this Friday)
* On all days your child stays after school for rehearsal, PLEASE SEND A NOTE GIVING PERMISSION to their classroom teacher. Our apologies to families and teachers for not clarifying this requirement today. Because this is an after-school activity, the school needs to know that you are expecting the change in your child's regular schedule.
Until the week before Thanksgiving, most Lower Wing rehearsals will now be during school hours. The next big focus for Lower Wing will be learning the musical parts with Ms. Buchan, getting fitted for costumes with Amanda, and art and movement projects with Ms. Gadoaus and Mr. McFee. We will EMAIL again and post on the website when the next Lower Wing after-school rehearsal is called.
* If your Lower Wing student is home-schooled, please contact us (Samantha & Amanda) and/or Lois Buchan (email@example.com) for a schedule of music.
* All Lower Wing students are part of the "Elf Chorus," and will be singing the opening and closing songs, as well as the "chorus" parts of many songs through the script.* Exception: the "Block-Maker" group (4th graders Clem, Barrett and Duncan) will sometimes meet with the Upper Wing "toymaker" elf groups. Details TBD.
UPPER WING (& "Block-makers"):
We will begin small group rehearsals this week. Please bookmark & check back to: http://cornishdramaclub.
blogspot.com/ for the CALENDAR.
* Wed. Oct. 22 2:45-4:00pm Santa, Mama Claus, Joni & Prudence
* Thurs. Oct. 23 2:45-4:30p Prudence, Joni & the Band, Nancy, Emily & Jessica
* Mon. Oct. 27 2:45p-4:30p All UPPER WING & Block-makers
* Wed. Oct. 29 2:45-4:30pm CHOREOGRAPHY for Upper Wing & Block-makers with Valerie Newton. This is very important, as we don't have many sessions with her. Please try to make sure your child can attend.
* We gave all children to have a copy of the script & ask that they please try not to lose them :-). We tried to help them find their scenes & give them a sense of their "actions" and "songs," but it was hard with the whole group. Some quiet one-on-one review at home may help your child get familiar with what a script is and how the pieces fit together. It will also help you see some of the great classic '50s and '60s tunes our music leaders will be teaching the kids.
* For a school play at this level, we value the process of a child taking a creative risk, gaining confidence to stand on a stage, and the social process of working with a group over the final product (though we know the kids will do a great job in the actual show too!). Your encouragement in this direction can be a great help. "Perfect" is not the goal, and fear of messing up lines, being embarrassed, etc. is universal. Some children today had big emotions that come out of the uncertainty of "what it will be like." It's very normal, and together, we hope all of the children will feel in the end that they tried something new and conquered their fears, and we will do everything we can to help them achieve those goals.
Thank you for your support and good night.
Samantha & Amanda